December is here already and that means it’s time for the annual RATS Christmas party. There will be a short business meeting to vote on new member applications, and then it will be time to eat and socialize. We will have a selection of finger foods available, similar to what we’ve had the past few years.
Come join us on Friday December 19 at 7:30 PM.
Click here for directions to our meeting place.
The links on the Local Links Page and the ARRL/National Links pages have been updated. Please check out these pages and feel free to send additions and corrections to N4PAT.
And thanks to Daniel Morgan, more repeaters have been added to the Local Repeaters page. Thanks, Daniel!
The RATS monthly membership meeting will be held Friday November 21 at the Richmond Volunteer Rescue Squad building. Details on getting to the meeting are available here.
This month’s main presentation will be on Ballooning and Amateur radio presented by Rob Marshall, KI4MCW.
In other RATS news
- Frostfest preparation is moving ahead. The Frostfest web site is up and taking orders, and we have more room than before with the new layout. We are always looking for volunteers to help out with planning and preparation, as well as staffing for the show itself.
- We are still in the planning stages for the December meeting social event, but it will also be held at the Richmond Volunteer Rescue Squad building.
- The By-laws review has been postponed until after Frostfest. We are still looking for volunteers to serve on this committee.
The October RATS general membership meeting will be held on October 17 at the Richmond Volunteer Rescue Squad Building. The meetings page has more information and directions to our location.
- Welcome to Tim Farrell, KJ4NPB, the newest member of the RATS Board of Directors. Tim was appointed to the Board at the October Board meeting. Tim takes the place of Bryan Walker. We would like to thank Bryan for his service to RATS.
- RATS is looking for a few member volunteers to serve on a committee to review the RATS By-Laws. We think it’s a good idea to periodically examine our bylaws to make sure that they are a good fit with the current state of the club. Ideally we would like to have board members and club members participate in this review. The committee will also accept comments from the general membership.
- Membership renewal season is still active. If you haven’t renewed you RATS membership this year, then you can do it online, or at a meeting. A PDF of our membership application is available.
- At the October member meeting we will have a brief review of the Simulated Emergency test that occurred in September, as well as updates on other club activities, including Frostfest. The main program will be an introduction to, and discussion about, Ham Radio Deluxe software.
The September 2014 membership meeting will be held on Friday, September 19, 2014 at the Richmond Volunteer Rescue Squad Building (formerly known as West End Volunteer Rescue Squad). The meeting begins at 7:30 PM. Directions and meeting information are here.
For the Membership meeting, Robert Orndorff, W4BNO, will give a presentation that identifies various things you might see on electrical poles, as well as a brief overview of how the grid works.
Frostfest – The planning meeting will be held Saturday September 13 starting at 9 AM at the Richmond Volunteer Rescue Squad building. Anyone wishing to help with the planning of Frostfest 2015 is encouraged to attend. This kickoff meeting generally lasts until around noon or 1 PM.
Member renewal time is upon us again, so if you haven’t renewed for 2014-2015 yet, now is the time to do so. The link to renew online is here.
We have recently added a page that gives a history of the club, check it out here.
Another ham related event is the MakerFest being held at the Science Museum of Virginia on Saturday September 27. The Richmond Amateur Radio Club is hosting a table at this event and help is always appreciated from any Hams in the community.
The local six meter net (50215.net) is holding their semi-annual Tailgate Fest at the Scottish Rite Temple on Saturday September 27 from 8:00 AM – noon.
The Scottish Rite Temple is located at 4204 Hermitage Road.
Saturday September 27 is Survivor Day, taking place at several localities in the area. This event is from 9 AM until noon. Check out the Survivor Day web site for more information.
The August 2014 membership meeting will be held on Friday August 15 at 7:30 PM at the Richmond Volunteer Rescue Squad building.
Be sure to come out if you can. On the agenda for this month is:
- Ballot counting! The 2014 elections are being held and ballots will be accepted and counted at the meeting.
- Mike Baker (N4LSP) will give his talk on how to get the most bang for your buck out of Amateur Radio.
Be sure to come out to our July monthly membership meeting. Once again, we’ll have a full agenda of amateur radio discussion.
- We had a great turnout for Field Day and we’ll have a recap.and some photos.
- Elections will be held at the August meeting
- For the main presentation, Peter Martin, K2VIZ, will be there to talk about his new “Go kit” that he brought to Field Day.
Presentation & Parts List (PDF)
Our meetings are held on the third Friday of the month. Click here for directions and more information.
The June 2014 monthly membership meeting will be held on June 20 at the Richmond Volunteer Rescue Squad building. Directions are here.
Topics this month:
- Nominations will be presented. Nominations for the offices up for reelection this year will be presented. Nominations will also be accepted from the floor.
- Field Day discussion. We will give a brief overview of what is planned for this year’s Field Day Event.
- The main program will be “Introduction to Digital Voice Modes” and will cover DSTAR, P25 and DMR (Mototrbo) modes and will be presented by Jim Bates,K8OI, and Jay Lovelady, KD4BPZ. There will also be discussion of the new digital repeater that just went on the air last month.
We look forward to seeing you there!
The May RATS membership meeting will be held on May 16 at 7:30 PM in the Richmond Volunteer Rescue Squad building.
The following items will be discussed:
- There will be an update on the upcoming Special Olympics public service event.
- RATS Nominations – We need a nominating committee of two or three members to gather nominations for this year’s election. The offices up for reelection are Secretary, Treasurer, and three directors. The current office holders are Secretary- Oliver Kanervikkoaho (KF4HVX), Treasurer – Buck Vaughn (KR4NL), and Directors Tray Murphy (N4PAT), Peter Martin (K2VIZ), and Rob Marshall (KI4MCW). If you are interested in serving on the nominating committee or running for office, please come to the meeting or email the board.
- For our main presentation Dr. Joe Palsa, K3WRY, will give a talk about antenna analyzers.