It’s May and Amateur Radio Field Day will be here soon! This year it is June 27-28. We have confirmed that we will be using the same location as last year. It has worked well for us, it’s the Laurel Park Recreation Area located at 10301 Hungry Spring Road. Once again we will be cooperating with other clubs in the area to put on Field Day. The Richmond Amateur Radio Club and DDXG, along with RATS are all participating this year. If you are interested in Amateur radio or haven’t been on the air in a while, Field Day is a great opportunity to come and watch, learn more, or just get on the air. Here are some pictures and a write-up of last year’s Field Day event.
- Setup will begin around 11:00 AM Saturday and on air operations begin at 2:00 PM.
- Operation will continue overnight and will wrap up around noon on Sunday.
- VE testing will happen Saturday afternoon, beginning at 2:00 PM.
- Four HF stations will be on the air, including one with VHF/UHF capability.
- Club picnic and cookout starting Saturday afternoon around 5 PM.
Coming up at the membership meeting on May 15 we will have a show and tell session. Several members have agreed to show and discuss things that the have put together at home. Among the items to be discussed are a mobile bicycle radio setup and a home-brew dummy load. Feel free to bring along anything that you have made so others can see and learn from your experience.